Pay Your Employees! Singer Courtney Love Sued for Breach of Contract
Failing to pay your employees can lead to a New York breach of contract lawsuit. This may happen even in the case of celebrity employers. In a recent filing, famous singer Courtney Love is being sued by her former assistant for breach of contract, including a failure to pay wages. The assistant, Jessica Labrie, alleges the following:
- Courtney Love entered into an employment contract with Ms. Labrie that lasted for approximately one year during 2010 and 2011.
- Ms. Love fired Ms. Labrie after Ms. Labrie complained about thousands of dollars in unpaid wages and expenses for business trips.
- As a result of Ms. Love’s actions, Ms. Labrie suffered financial losses, headaches, insomnia, and other medical conditions.
- Under New York contract law, this type of legal action would require the following in order for Ms. Labrie to be successful:
- That an enforceable employment agreement existed between the parties.
- That Ms. Labrie was owed a certain amount under the terms of such agreement.
- Had Ms. Love not breached the agreement, Ms. Labrie would have earned that amount of money.
- That Ms. Labrie did not have a duty to mitigate damages by using reasonable efforts to find other employment.
While it may not always be easy for employees to succeed in breach of contract claims against their employers, it is generally not advisable for employers to fail to fulfill their obligations under valid agreements. If you find yourself in such a situation, it is vital that you contact an experienced New York business litigation lawyer for guidance.
For more information about breach of contract actions between employers and employees, contact a New York breach of contract lawyer today at (888) 497-3410 for a free consultation.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Pay Your Employees! Singer Courtney Love Sued for Breach of Contract"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."