In the case of an automobile accident, that depends. If you are a passenger in the vehicle, then the policy covering the vehicle should bear primary responsibility for covering your medical bills. Next in line is the insurer for the other vehicle (assuming this was more than a one-vehicle accident). Finally, if either you or a family member owns a car, your own automobile insurer should bear responsibility for covering your medical bills.

In the event of a hit and run incident (and assuming you are not otherwise listed on an automobile policy from someone in your household), your medical bills should be covered by the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation. In any of the above circumstances, it is imperative that you determine fairly quickly who the correct insurer is to assure that your medical bills are covered.
Jonathan Cooper
Connect with me
Non-Compete, Trade Secret and School Negligence Lawyer